Lamro was the 1st town in Tripp County, South Dakota located in the exact center of the million acres opened for settlement. It was designed to be the capital, the county seat and the metropolis of the Rosebud. At one year of age it had twenty-six business houses, a public school, progressive citizens, and daily mail.
Lamro was organized in August 1907, under the incorporation of the Lamoreaux Townsite Company with H. F. Slaughter, H. W. Thomas and Oliver Lamoreaux as directors. Lamro was located on the NW1/4 of section 31, Township 99, Range 76. It was situated between Dog Ear and Mud Creeks and had an abundant supply of running water on each side of splendid wells of water at a depth of 20 feet.
DOG EAR CREEK
Dog Ear Creek on the west, 16 feet in depth, furnished a splendid outlet for perfect sewage and water power ample for electric lights and a mill. Lamro, surrounded by the best land in Tripp County, offered the best business openings to lively businessmen in the northwest.
The first building in Lamro was erected by W. R. Roe. who established a general merchandise store. The post office was established on October 1, 1907 with A. B. Brown as the first postmaster. In the land drawing, he received a homestead allotment in Greenwood Township. Because of the great distance from his homestead to Lamro, SD he resigned as postmaster, and C. E. Talbot was appointed postmaster in the summer of 1910.
The Lamro Advocate was started by W.E. Bridgeman in July 1907, but was discontinued a year later. In October 1908 the first issue of the Tripp County Journal was published by James W. Putney and in the same month the first telephone was installed. The first resident doctor was Dr. Charles L. Legg, who arrived there on October 29, 1908. The first school was held in 1908 with Mrs. Arthur Brown as teacher. No church was ever built in Lamro. A Catholic priest came our from Gregory once a month and conducted services in a store. Other denominations had community services in an available building.
Source: Tripp County Historical Society, Conducts Auto Caravan, Heritage Tour, Sunday, September 19, 1971