As we glide smoothly along in out present day cars and reach Jordan Hill (just east of the 183-18 junction) it brings back memories of what a feat it was to make Jordan Hill on high in our old Model T Fords.
Near the Junction we come to the site of the old town of Jordan. Jordan was named after C. P. Jordan who was a nephew of General Custer. Col C. P. Jordan married into a family of distinguished Indian blood. For many years the Jordans lived near Wood, South Dakota where they built up a fine ranch home. Mrs. Wm. Colombe of Carter, South Dakota is a granddaughter of the Jordans.
The first building in Jordan was a post office which was operated by a Mr. and Mrs. Doc Ream. In 1910 lots were sold and the Jordan Hotel was built by the Jackson Bros. (Western Townsite promoters). This was a stopping place for most of the freighters. Dad Hale, Mrs. Del Kinsley's grandfather was a regular freighter.
Mr. H. L. Antes came in 1910 and built a large livery barn which he operated for several years. His wife joined him as a bride in 1911. Mr. Antes also freighted some during these years. In 1940, he bought a farm north of Jordan and became a farmer. His son, Frank, has continued the farm operation and expanded it extensively.
Other people who lived in the Jordan area and are still in out midst are Margaret Novotny of Winner, Arlo, Dean, and Milo Hansen, Helen Hansen-Massa, Virginia Bell-Meyer, and the Wigstone Bros. The children of Wm Assman Sr. remember when they attended church in Jordan. We know there are others which we have not named and no doubt all these people have tales they could tell about what went on in Jordan.
Next we come to the range of RED HILL BUTTES which have a distinguished reddish color in a normal year due to the type of grass that grows on them. The Red Hills are thought to be a part of the Bi jou Hills formation, a series of quartzite-capped buttes, east of the Missouri. They are believed to represent the east-west flowing streams of the Pliocene Age. Buttes of this type were land marks for early day travelers.
Red Hill quartzite has been crushed and used for road beds in the vicinity. A trail made in the 1920's can still be seen up the butte where crushed rock was hauled down for U. S. Hwy. 18.
Source: Tripp County Historical Society, 6th Annual Auto Caravan, Heritage Tour, Sunday, September 26, 1976