The Millboro townsite was platted by C. W. Rose who planned to build a mill on the Keyapaha River, hence the name Millboro, and expected a railroad to come from Ainsworth, Nebraska. The mill and the railroad never materialized but the little town of Millboro became a thriving community center. The church and school still are the focal points for the community.
The original schoolhouse was built in 1921. Beech Hayes was the carpenter.
The dormitory was operated for a short time while W. A. Powers was superintendent.
IDDING STORE (HUGGIN STORE) The first store in Millboro was built by Joe Idding and Bob Elliot. Dell Sealey who homesteaded the Len Hofeldt land hauled the lumber. He also had some groceries on the first load of lumber and Arlie Mahaffa is reported to have been the first customer with his purchase of cheese and a box of crackers.
Idding later traded his store to George Huggins for some horses. Huggins ran the store until the early 30's when they sold out. Selma Larch also had her Post Office in the lean-to building on the side of the store. The building was torn down.
FRED JERRED GARAGE
Fred Jerred ran the garage for several years. Others who ran a garage in the building were Percy Haggard, Elmer Haggard, Einar Peterson, and Fred Harvey.
W. H. WOOD STORE
This was the second store in Millboro. It was a large two story building with living quarters in the second story. Their daughter, Ruth, married Matt Boyle, a homesteader, who later became one of the county's first commissioners. In 1912, the store was sold to Mr. & Mrs. Pearl Jones who operated the store for many years. Jones sold the store to Adams and Vern Faubions ran the store for Adams while a new building was built. Later when Elmer Wise was running the store, the building burnt down.
Charlie Rose started the paper "The Millboro News" with Bob Elliot as the editor. The building was later sold and moved to the Ernest Heath farm.
Vern Faubion ran the store for Adams and later bought the store. Vern was the Postmaster and had the Post Office in the store building for several years. The store was sold to Dale Huddle and in turn to Elby Huddle and later to Vern Thomas. Thomas owned the store. Frank Richard had a barber shop in the store while Faubions owned it. He barbered two or three days a week. The building burnt down.
Bob Elliot was the first Postmaster and had the Post Office in a building here, and also ran a cream station. Elmer Sala had a harness shop and shoe repair in this location. Ross Carter and Martin Lawler bought the building and ran a cream station and grocery store for several years. Martin Lawler moved to Keyapaha and Ross Carter tore down the building and built a block building after the Faubion Store burnt Down. Ross ran a store in the block building for several years and Faubion had the Post Office there until he retired in 1959.
BEATRICE CREAM STATION
Vern Faubion ran a cream station here when he first moved to Millboro. Later Elby Huddle had the cream station. The building was torn down.
HARDING CREAM STATION
Run in turn by Gerald Johnson and Bill Thompson and probably others. The building there now was built by Read Harvey for a cream station.
FARMERS CO-OP STORE
Was built probably in the early 1920s. Ed Lewis and Charlie Lampitt were among those who ran the store. Elby Huddle ran a store in this building and Fred Harvey later had a pool hall. Donald Haley ran a store and had a dance hall in this building and later moved the building to Winner to build his home.
MILLBORO TELEPHONE COMPANY
In 1912, twenty-seven families feeling the need for close and better communications got together and after much discussion decided to forma community telephone line for the south central Tripp County and extending one mile into Nebraska. This is believed to be the first telephone system in Tripp County and was named "Rock Butte" line. The men cut oak and ash poles on the Niobrara River and soon had a one-line telephone system.
Other telephone lines were formed and the Rock Butte line was extended to Colome through the effort of Charlie Rose and the business men of Colome.
The first switchboard was installed in 1914 in the P. C. Jones Store and Mrs. Jones was the operator. Later operators were Mrs. Fern Hill, Mrs. Gerald Johnson and Mrs. Allen Jerred. The central office had been moved to the parsonage.
In November 1924, Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Faubion took over the operations of the central office, which was moved to their store. They also installed a switchboard in their home for night and Sunday use. The name was also changed to the Millboro Telephone Company.
In 1941, it was voted to change the main line from Colome to was moved to the Faubion home, where the Faubions ran the switchboard until the Dial System of the northwestern Bell Telephone was installed on December 21, 1962. Mr. Faubion and Mrs. Ross Carter were the operators during the last several years.
The first school in the Millboro area was held in the winter of 1909 in the Ascension Chapel with Inez Tabor as teach. The following year four schools were built in the district: Millboro. Jerred, Painter, and Lost Creek. At first each school had from 25 to 40 pupils, as there was a family on every quarter section of land. Early teachers in Millboro included Elsie Wagner and Charlie Rose. There Jerred School was closed in 1952 and in 1956 the building was sold to Robert Burnham, who moved it 1.5 miles west and converted it into a house. The Painter School was closed in 1962 and later moved to Millboro and added to the west side of the original building to make it a two-room school. The Lost Creek School was closed in 1948. The building was later sold and moved to the farm on Rock Hill, south of Winner.
From 1928 to 1942 a high school was held in Millboro. The highest enrollment was 60 students with four teachers. Classes were held in the Millboro Church building. To the west of the church a dormitory for girls was located and one for boys was established on the highway.
MILLBORO CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
In 1913 Mr. Charlie Rose invited two Sunday School groups; one in the Lost Creek area and one in the Willow Creek community to join a group at Millboro. In 1923, John Peterson was hired to oversee the construction of a church building.
Besides serving the spiritual needs of the members, the church building has also served as a community hall. From 1928 to 1942, high school were held in it and various community meetings and programs have been held in the basement.
Source: Tripp County Historical Society, 12th Annual Auto Caravan, Heritage Tour, Sunday, September 26, 1982